General Knowledge Based Interesting Facts About UK (United Kingdom) For Students
The UK is a fascinating country with a rich history and culture. There are many interesting things about the UK that you may not know. We all have heard about the history of United Kingdom, its culture, food and other interesting things. But now it is time to know some more interesting general knowledge based facts about United Kingdom for kids.
Location of UK
1. The United Kingdom is a sovereign state in Europe. It is located near the north-western coast of Europe. The United Kingdom consists of the island of Great Britain or GB, the north-eastern part of the island of Ireland & several tiny islands. Northern Ireland is the one and only part of the United Kingdom with a land border with any other country i.e Republic of Ireland. The United Kingdom is located on the island of GB. The United Kingdom is has more than 6000 small islands. The UK has a land border with one country: Ireland. The UK is approximately 243,610 square kilometres in size.
Countries of United Kingdom
2. The UK consists of 4 countries: England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland.
Population of UK
3. The United Kingdom has a population of over 65 million people, making it the 22nd most populous country in the world.
Languages of United Kingdom
4. The official language of the United Kingdom are English, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh and Irish. UK is also the house or origin of English.
Monarchy cum Democracy
5. The United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy, with Queen Elizabeth II as the head of state. It is one of the oldest democracies in the world. Democracy first developed in this country.
Membership of World Organizations
6. The United Kingdom is a the United Nations, the Commonwealth, NATO, and the G8.
7. The United Kingdom has a Market economy, which is the sixth largest in the world.
Quality of Life
8. The United Kingdom is a developed country, with a high quality of life and strong human rights record.
9. The United Kingdom is ranked as the 9th most peaceful country in the world.
10. London is the capital & largest city of the UK.
40 Interesting Facts About United Kingdom, UK GK Facts For Kids
11. Other major cities in the United Kingdom include Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, and Belfast.
12. The United Kingdom has a temperate climate, with cool summers and mild winters. The UK has a temperate climate, with warm summers and cool winters. The average temperature in the United Kingdom is 11.2 °C (52.2 °F).
13. The United Kingdom is home to a number of iconic landmarks, such as Big Ben, Tower Bridge, and Buckingham Palace.
14. The United Kingdom is a popular tourist destination, with over 27 million visitors per year. London the capital of UK is the most visited city in the world and attracts millions of foreign visitors every year. Other tourist destinations in the UK include the cities of Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool and Glasgow; the Lake District and Scotland’s Loch Ness; and the seaside resorts of Brighton, Blackpool and working harbours such as Bristol and Southampton.
Famous Museums in UK
15. The United Kingdom is home to a number of world-famous museums, such as the British Museum and the National Gallery.
World Heritage Sites
16. The United Kingdom has a number of World Heritage Sites, including Stonehenge and Hadrian’s Wall.
Founding Member of UNO
17. The United Kingdom is a founding member of the United Nations, and has a permanent seat on the Security Council.
18. The United Kingdom is a nuclear power, and has the fourth largest nuclear arsenal in the world.
19. The United Kingdom is a member of NATO, and has a strong military presence around the world.
Leader in Science & Technology
20. The United Kingdom is a world leader in science and technology, and has produced a number of Nobel Prize winners.
21. The United Kingdom is home to a number of world-renowned universities, including Oxford, Cambridge, and Edinburgh.
22. The United Kingdom has a number of major airports, including London Heathrow, which is the busiest airport in Europe.
23. The United Kingdom has a number of major ports, including Dover and Southampton.
24. The United Kingdom is connected to the European continent by a number of transport links, including the Channel Tunnel.
EU, UK & Brexit
25. The United Kingdom has left European Union, and uses the Pound Sterling as its currency.
26. House of Immigrants
UK is the 4th biggest house of immigrants after USA, Canada and Australia.
27. The United Kingdom has a unicameral parliament, and a number of political parties.
28. The United Kingdom has a number of overseas territories, including the Falkland Islands and Gibraltar.
29. The United Kingdom is the head of the Commonwealth, and has a number of former colonies.
30.The United Kingdom has a diverse range of cultures and traditions.
World Heritage Sites
30. The United Kingdom has a number of World Heritage Sites, including the Tower of London and Stonehenge.
31.The UK does not have one specific written constitutional. Instead the so-called constitution of the UK is a collection of various documents laws and conventions that have been developed over centuries. This includes the Magna Carta the Bill of Rights 1689 the Act of Settlement 1701 and the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949. Among other things these documents establish the supremacy of parliament define the role of the monarch protect civil liberties and codify key aspects of executive power.
32. The UK has a rich history and has been home to many notable figures, such as Winston Churchill, Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin and William Shakespeare.
33.The UK has a variety of topographical features, including coastline, rivers, lakes and mountains. The highest mountain in the UK is Ben Nevis in Scotland, which is 1,345 metres (4,411 ft) high. The longest river is the River Severn, which is 354 kilometres (220 mi) long. The UK has a diverse geography with several mountain ranges running through it, including the Cheviot Hills, Forest Hills and Snowdonia in Wales.
Great Super Power
34. The country has been described as a “Great Super Power”. The United Kingdom is considered to have a “special relationship” with the USA.
Economy of Great Britain
35.The UK has a developed economy and is the world’s sixth largest economy by nominal GDP and ninth largest economy by purchasing power parity. UK has the 2nd largest economy in Europe after Germany. The UK is one of the world’s largest importers and exporters of goods. The United Kingdom is included in one of most industrialized countries of the world. It is also a leading trading nation and has a diversified economy.
36.The United Kingdom is a country that is located on the island of Great Britain. It has a long and diverse history, which can be traced back to the early periods of human civilization. The United Kingdom first emerged as an independent political entity in the early 10th century, and has since played a significant role in international affairs.
37.The UK has a strong history and culture dating back to antiquity. Highlights of British culture include its parliamentary system, legal system, education system, entertainment industry and sporting events.
Western Civilization & Common Law
38.It played a leading role in developing Western civilization, cricket and English law.
39.It was one of the first industrialized countries and remains a major exporter of manufactured goods.
40. The word “United Kingdom” is an abbreviation of the full name of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
I am sure that these 40 facts will make you learn something new. These facts will help you to understand the history of United Kingdom better. You will also like to read the following related general knowledge (GK) based article of studysolutions.pk on United Kingdom or UK.